Saturday, January 30, 2010

Unappreciated Talents

After much lamenting over how to start my blog, I have decided to wing it. A while ago, a friend and I decided to make lists of the things we do well but for which we are not appreciated. To introduce myself, I’ve decided to expand my list for my first post:
  • I am very good at cracking an egg with one hand. I still have yet to attempt it with both hands at the same time. (Sorry Ty.)
  • I am an excellent stick-figure drawer. My notebooks are filled with them.
  • I can unwrap a Starburst in my mouth. (I'm sure this will pay off someday.)
  • I am an expert at getting lost. (my secret: never print out your mapquest page)
  • I am good at teaching myself new skills (playing the harmonica, making pie from scratch, sewing zippers...)but have yet to perfect any of them.

(notice the drips)
  • I am good at remembering random, obscure movie quotes.
  • I am excellent at making myself laugh, even if no one is around.
  • I am good at not getting embarrassed (I went to the store with bright pink, knee-high socks, Chacos, and gaucho pants the other night).
  • I am good at trying new things! (The most recent was ice skating, believe it or not.)
  • I have been known to jump off of really high things without much hesitation (good or bad, I do it well).
(Havasupai, AZ)

So there you have it, an introduction to me. I hope you all enjoyed it. There will be more to come!

7 comments:

  1. I can't tell you how glad I am that you started blogging. Thank you, thank you. I love your initial post. What a great idea and way to introduce yourself.

    One thing you are good at is listening to all sides of a story. You see life from everyone's perspective. I think THAT is a real gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh....and you're VERY good at drawing thank you pictures on paint and leaving them for a surprise :) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel,

    YAY! I'm so glad you have a blog!

    You are also super good at making others laugh while you are making yourself laugh. Myself included.

    Thanks for sending me your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto to what was said above. Also, I think your talents go way beyond this. A few obscure ones might be spinning the old arm chair faster than any one else and making I Spy puzzles. I really enjoyed this Rachel. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachel,

    This blog makes me smile big time and makes me remember why you're missed.
    Thanks for the call the other day. Guess what I served in class? . . . hostess cupcakes. I told everyone my niece wasn't around to make them homemade and after all why would I be working on my birthday:) All thanks to you!

    Love you,
    Aunt Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  6. And one more talent, you make me laugh, too. I giggle every time I hear you laughing in the other room at who-knows-what but you're the only one in there and just giggling away. I appreciate the way you see me for what I am. I appreciate the way you go out of your way to help Jenny and play games with her boys. I appreciate that you get lost and call me and want me to look up on mapquest where you are and stay on the phone for 30 minutes while you find it. You are unique.

    Love mom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some more little-known-talents...

    1. Take plant mothering serious. You even brought Potsie (or is it Pot-C) the rubber plant over to meet my house plant. I think there may have been some cross pollination going on.

    2. Keeping Ty entertained by reading him Christmas stories out loud... even when you're both 23 years old.

    3. Helping build the PERFECT fort outside the tack shed. Remember how we had a year's supply of cooking supplies (sawdust, Juniper berries, rotten vegetables from the garden) in that wood cupboard. We had a sink (the cow water trough). We had the old broken lawn chairs as our living room furniture. It was one magical fort. So magical I still think of it wish I was young enough to make forst. Maybe that's all a house is... an adult fort.

    I love this first post Rachel. It makes me want to declare those talents I have that just don't get showcased enough.

    Love, Cali

    ReplyDelete