Sunday, February 6, 2011

American History Quiz



Whip out your number two pencils everyone! This weekend I explored our short American history at the National Museum of American History. See if you can guess whose artifacts I saw.
(All of the pictures came from the Smithsonian website: http://americanhistory.si.edu/exhibitions/index.cfm


I had the privilege of learning all about a particularly influential individual. Above is a picture of the hat he wore the night he died. I feel that he could fit in with the Pontipee brothers; a scroungy backwoodsman as tall as a church steeple. Who was he?


Guess who's kitchen this is! Any takers?? You might be interested to know that the two cook books on the shelf that appeared to be the most worn (everything in the kitchen is original) were Joy of Cooking. I also spotted a quote from the owner stating, "We all have copies of Mrs. Joy." You will also be interested to know that there was a small tile on the counter top that stated "I wasn't there. It didn't happen. It was the little people."


Consider this the equivalent of those questions your teachers always put in the test to guarantee that no one completely fails. Who's slippers are these? I'll give you a hint: there's no place like home! Fun fact: the slippers were actually supposed to be silver but the producers felt that silver did not give the impact they were looking for with technicolor screens.


These dresses were worn by the first ladies. Any takers on who wore which ones? The one in the middle is my favorite, but unless you really know your presidents and the years they were in term, it may be difficult. (These were really fun to see by the way. I think you should all look them up on the Smithsonian's website. Laura Bush's was quite amusing :)


This is the Philadelphia, a gunboat which carried a "wretched motley crew" (in Arnold's words) under the command of Benedict Arnold during the American Revolution. It is the oldest surviving fighting vessel in American history, measuring 54 feet and 29 tons. It fought and sunk in Lake Champlain, where it sat until 1935. I just know you're all dying to know how many men it carried but I'm not going to tell you. Mwahaha! That is your question, how many men did it carry?


Last but not least. This is the flag that inspired our National Anthem, the original star-spangled banner. How big is it??

There is much more to share with you but I don't want this to be an epistle. I would encourage you to go to the Smithsonian website to learn more. (And you should all look up Audie Murphy to learn how he earned the Medal of Honor in WWII.) But don't cheat!! I do not tolerate cheaters!

9 comments:

  1. How fun!! i'm glad you're taking advantage of all the fun things DC has to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know these! I know these! How fun to see these artifacts. I love that you're there loving history, too.

    That flag is immense, is it not?

    Dorothy's shoes look like they've seen some better days.

    Audie Murphy is Uncle Calvin's hero. He went to hell and back.

    But....praytell, who's kitchen is that?

    I love you. I'm so glad you get to have these experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel! I miss you and wish I was with you and could just tag along all of your fun adventures! I am so impressed with your patriotism- I should take a lesson from you! I was in Philadelphia for work in November I should have told you and you could come see the sights there with me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh!!!!!
    PICK ME!!!!!
    I KNOW!!!!!

    Hat: Abe Lincoln. I liked your linking him up with the 7 Pontipee brothers.

    Shoes: Dorothy's. I was surprised when I saw them that they were kind of ugly... much prettier in the movie. I can't remember how many pairs there were, but she wore some out in the filming didn't she? Maybe I made that up.

    Kitchen: Julia Child's. I didn't know about the tile with the quote on it. I think I'm going to make a sign of that and just put it somewhere in my house.

    Dresses: 1st: Martha Washington (just a guess... it looks old). 2nd: Eleanor Roosevelt (just another guess). 3rd: Jackie O (just guessing again).

    Boat: I like to think there were 30 men on there and they were sitting on each other's laps.

    Flag: I have no clue, but from my mom's comment I'm going to say it was the size of... a football field. Just kidding. I say 50x20 ft.

    I know about Audie Murphy. My dad loves to tell us about his story... therefore I have a great respect for him.

    Rachel, this was SOOOOO fun. I love quizes like this. Did you see Mr Roger's sweater? How about Kermit the frog?

    Cali

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew only one. Yes, only one....I have much brushing up to do. Excellent post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I loved this! Are you going to post the answers?! I only know the ones that the others knew. This was fun. I hope you had fun at the museums.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cali wins, hands down! Here are the answers:
    1- Abe Lincoln
    2- Julia Child
    3- Dorothy (and yes, they were slightly unimpressive)
    4- Martha Washington, Grace Coolidge, Jackie Kennedy
    5- 44, YES 44 men living on that little boat!
    6- 30 x 42 feet (presently 30 x 34 feet)IT'S HUGE!

    I did see Kermit, but I did not get to see Mr. Roger's sweater, nor did I see Fonzie's jacket. :( I think I will have to go back. You should all come with me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations Cali! You've won a free week's stay in my bed! You'll have to pay your way of course, and your guest will have to sleep on my floor (mostly because I think your guest is WAY too long for my bed), but my sheets will be clean and waiting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WaHOOOOOO! Oh Rachel, I wish I were back there visiting with you. We could go to the museums and people watch on the subway and there at the mall. We could also laugh about the signs they post outside the museums that say you can't take scissors into the museums. Is there really a high threat of scissors being smuggled into the museum... apparently so. Have a great day at work.

    Cali

    ReplyDelete