Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Gettysburg

On our (Levi, Emily, Andy) Pennsylvania adventure, we also saw Gettysburg. What a fun place to visit! I am currently reading a novel based on the events at Gettysburg, The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara. Due to my inability to read quickly, I am only into the second day of the battle now, but I'm absorbing every detail I can! It gives me a great visual to have seen the actual ground where the battle took place. I can see the advantage of high ground that was so obvious to the soldiers. It brings the strategy behind the battle alive! It is fun to read the personal details of the story behind each of the main players in the battle as well.

These are my favorite generals so far:
  • General Pickett (Confederate) was a "perfumed" man with bouncing curls and in love with a girl half his age, for whom he vowed ne'r to touch liquor and gets teased for it. He is quite entertaining!
  • General Chamberlain (Union) was an eloquent, inspiring man with deep convictions. As a professor of philosophy, he gave spur-of-the-moment, inspirational, and motivational speeches to his men with an air of humility. He makes me want to enlist!
  • General Robert E. Lee (C) was a man greatly respected by both sides of the war. I can see why as I read about him. I can't help but root for him even though I already know the outcome of the story.
  • General Longstreet (C), Lee's "old war horse," loved to be on the defensive and advised Lee to do so. Lee did not follow his friend's advice. Longstreet and Lee seem to be so opposite, yet Longstreet seems to be Lee's ray of sunshine.
  • General Reynolds (U) was a polished and dignified gentleman and military man who respectfully declined the offer to command the Union Army, believing he would not be of much help by leaving the front line. Just reading about him paints a very detailed picture in my head of a distinguished, handsome gentleman atop his trusty steed that any woman would swoon for.
It's so interesting to read about the relationships and the respect the generals had for each other on either side of the war. They were friends who simply chose different sides. They even waved to each other from a distance before battles commenced. They were truly sad when learning of their opposing friend's deaths as well. I am loving my book, and I can't wait to finish it and then go back to Gettysburg for the full visual! Gettysburg is by far one of my favorite sites that I've visited.

5 comments:

  1. Oh Rachel! I'm so glad you get to see and go and do. I loved Gettysburg as well. It is just so sad. Did you take the audio tour of it? It's quite worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel,

    I remember reading that book for a Civil War history class I took one year in college. I had to read it too fast to fully grasp all the details... but I should read it again. I came away from that class so impressed with how many incredible men and leaders fought in that war. I loved your recap on each of the generals. When we come out to see you, Ty & Michelle, Levi and Emily sometime in the next year, we are definitely going there. I've wanted to see it for a long time. Awesome post.

    Cali

    ReplyDelete
  3. When we toured the Confederate White House the tour guide mentioned Longstreet. I had no idea who he was, so I'm glad you've enlightened me. Good post. Teach me more. Your "Cliff Notes" are way faster and more entertaining, I'm sure, than any book.
    Love, mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aunt Jane, I have not taken the audio tour. I'll have to do that next time! I LOVED the museum though! Cali, I would love to go again with you when you come visit! I have officially invited myself ;0) Mom, we'll have to go there next time you come!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did I miss THIS post?! I love the Civil War, like obsession love. I think Longstreet's post Civil War life is tragic. What a fun post to read. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete