Wednesday, August 31, 2011

THAR SHE......doesn't blow

(All pictures borrowed from Google Images)

The excitement of the earthquake did not last long as we were forced to prepare for the treacherous hurricane, Irene. And, yes, she was just about as scary as she sounds. Allow me to fill you in on the details, per Aunt Rachel's request.

I was blissfully planning a getaway to Ocean City with "the girls" (insert finger quotations) when my roommate informed me Irene was brewing. Our trip was hastily canceled the day Ocean City mandated an evacuation (insert frown accompanied with head drooping). I then began to think about preparing for the impending doom.

(Irene smiling for the camera at Ocean City on Saturday)

When Friday rolled around, I thought perhaps I would squeeze my preparation in between work and volleyball. It turns out everyone else decided to prepare just then too. The store was swarming with people. However, the water isle was vacant due to the lack of water on the shelves. I grabbed the last two cans of chunk light tuna in water, some grapes, some bread, a can of soup, and about 7 bottles of water found in the deli section where no one thought to look. (insert triumph pose) I figured that would be sufficient in addition to my 1 dehydrated meal and gallon of water at home. I then went home, filled my freshly cleaned bathtub full of water, and went off to play volleyball with friends.

When Saturday rolled around there was a constant pouring of rain (typical of any ol' summer storm) accompanied by a breeze. Irene was teasing us with her calmness. As Irene not-so-swiftly approached, we received word that church was canceled. I called Levi some time between 4-6 pm. When I asked if the hurricane hit yet, I heard a laugh and "Has it hit yet? (insert sarcasm) Since 8 o'clock this morning!" He then proceeded to report how many trees were down and how many hours the power had been out. They were ignoring the storm at a friend's house playing cards and having a grand ol' time. (insert jealousy) I couldn't wait for Irene to visit so we could have a party! All I could do was wait for it........
......................................................................................................................
......................................................................................................................
......................................wait for it................................................................
......................................................................................................................
...............................................................................(sigh)........................
....................................................................................................................
..........wait for it...........................................................................................
...........................................(huff).............................................................
Well, I assume there was some wind and probably more rain that night, perhaps some thunder and lightning. (I wouldn't know, I'm a heavy sleeper.) When I woke up, the trees were standing, the sun was shining, the sky was blue, and the parking lot was dry. (insert birds chirping) No sign of Irene except for a few leaves and small branches on the ground. With no church to go to, my roommates and I went for a walk and played Rummikub for a while. It was a slightly boring day. (insert finger drumming) Thanks for nothing Irene.

(I have no clue who this kid is, but this is how I felt.)

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the wonderful commentary. I especially loved your emoticons in words!

    So your walk and Rummikube weren't the party you were hoping for?

    You really should write more you know. (insert a beg on knees)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was the best description of Irene in DC I've heard yet. I agree... Blogger needs emoticons. They just describe everything so well (insert smiley face where the smile takes up half the face)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol, well at least your safe!!! And have 2 cans of tuna.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why did this not pull up on my recent list of posts?! I'm disturbed. Better to find it better late than never I suspose. Thank you for doing it for me, it was just as good as I thought it might be.
    Love,
    Aunt Rachel

    ReplyDelete