This is me and my street-vendored hog dog and the scoundrels who were coveting it. I'm onto their tricks though and I told them so.
It all started on a sunny day at Sea World. (If this were a TV show, this would be the part where the screen gets all fuzzy and fades into a black and white scene.) I was about 15 years old (most likely wearing pig-tail braids), happily walking to the next sea creature show with Mom, Dad, and teenage versions of Will and Levi. (Both were wearing baseball caps, I'm sure.) My appetite was being satisfied after a very persuasive argument-most likely pleading-with Dad that I would die without a nice cinnamony-sugary snack.
So there I was, churro in hand, the breeze in my hair, the sun on my already sun-kissed face, and the scent of fish in the air. Life was good. Unfortunately I was not paying attention to anything else in the air, but they were most certainly paying attention to me! (BUM, BUM, BUM!)
Before I knew it, a seagull was swooping down out of nowhere with his eye on my victual! He grabbed hold of the top with his ferocious talons, but my death grip only allowed him to break off the top. Then, as if that weren't enough, ANOTHER beast swooped down in an attempt to capture what was left behind! They were tag-teaming it!! They had conspired against me!! The second brute didn't get it all either because of my ninja grip, so I decided to get even and threw the rest of it at him! I don't remember if I hit him or not, all I remember is my rage and the laughter of everyone witnessing the incident.
Lesson learned: protect your food or you may be feeding the scavenging brutes of the sky. (Your imagination can now fade back into present day.)
I've now faded back to present... and I'm laughing very hard. I bet those seagulls had NEVER seen the likes of you. You may have surprised them with the ninja grip... but they should have suspected you'd try to kill them with the remaining churro. You have red hair. Red hair means fiery spirits.
ReplyDeleteI loved this story even better the second time Rachel. I'm glad I got the live version last week though.
Hahaha. I had a seagull attack me and take a bite out of MY CHURRO at SeaWorld once!!! Dang birds. What's with them and Churros and SeaWorld???
ReplyDeleteRachel, I have NEVER heard this story. Oh ho, this is a funny one. I can't believe they tag-teamed you. I can just imagine you going after him though. Oh ho that is funny. I can so picture it.
ReplyDeleteWe've got to do the wharf in Seattle together and see what they do with you and french fries.
Rachel,
ReplyDeleteI can't say from personal experience that I know how you feel, but Seagulls must really love Churros. Especially Seaworld Seagulls. When I was there a good 11 years ago, a Seagull swooped down to steal Abe's churro. I'm not sure he reacted quite the same way though. Probably because he didn't have the ninja-like grip.
you are so silly!! i havent talked to you in forever! so i saw your old roomie nicki yesterday she asked how you were i told her you were good so i hope you are!!
ReplyDeleteTechnically, I've never stopped laughing when thinking of that time in Sea World. You were unconsolable for the rest of the day. How dared we laugh at your scarring incident. You had that same angry look years later in basketball when you fought other posts over the paint area. And I heard that same spirit in your voice the other day when you sent a girl crying from the room. She was apparently your seagull of the moment.
ReplyDeleteI just don't know where you get this.
It takes a lot to get those emotions out of me. Remember all my coaches begging me to get aggressive? It always took a cheap shot from the girl I was guarding to bring it out. I never realized how seagull-like they were...
ReplyDeleteAnd for the record, I did not send that girl crying from the room. Someone else did. I just thought she had it coming.
ReplyDeleteHow funny. They like that?
ReplyDelete