Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Thinker

(Thanks Google!)

This has been me for quite some time. Hence the reason I haven't posted in a while. Here's what I have been thinking about:
  • There are only 16 more days until I graduate with my Master's Degree. Before then I have a final to take in a class that was originally very difficult for me to understand. The focus is a very nontraditional type of therapy. I finally thought I was beginning to grasp the concept until yesterday. We had a very confusing discussion and I realized I don't get it at all. P.A.N.I.C. There are no more classes before our final. There are no more chances for me to ask questions for the teacher to clarify. I only took this ridiculous class because I knew I liked the teacher. I had no idea what I was getting into.
  • I also have to pass an oral exam (not at the dentist, as Levi pointed out) in order to graduate. Basically, three people with PhD's get to decipher whether or not I am competent to be a social worker after my hour-long presentation. Then I get to leave the room while they determine my fate. No pressure, right? To top it all off, I have to wait an agonizing 12 days for it. That's 12 whole days of THINKING!
  • After graduation, I am going home to kill time until I find a job. What jobs am I looking for? Well, I'm not sure. Whatever it is, it's supposed to be my lifelong career though. Where am I looking for this job? Well, anywhere I have never lived (this eliminates Idaho, Washington, and Wyoming). As you can see, I am lacking direction a little bit. I am beginning to hate the phrase, "The world is your oyster!"
  • The other concern is when I actually become employed. It could take all summer before I find a job. I can't afford that! So now I'm trying to figure out how in the world (of Filer, Idaho) I can make/save money at home.
As you can see, there is not necessarily a whole lot on my mind, but the things that are on my mind are quite consuming. It is taking all of my energy not to runaway from these thoughts this weekend. It's so tiring, all this thinking. I don't know how The Thinker has done it all these years. I just wish I had a friend to think with...

(Thanks again Google!)

10 comments:

  1. Me! Me! Come think with me (us)!

    Oh Rachel, this is a funny post. I love how you tied it all together. I've never thought about "how The Thinker has done it all these years." How very funny.

    And to put Pooh in with The Thinker? Classic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha. Who all that work ughh good luck Rachel!!
    Maddie Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel,

    Oh Pooh . . .My vote is Washington, D.C. After visiting there and visiting with Hailey Stevenson . . . well that is the place to go.

    Aunt Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe anyone wants to leave Filer. After all, I'm there (feeling guilty yet? No? I'll keep working on it). We'll enjoy you while we can, and hope that the plane tickets to wherever you go aren't too much money. I'm very proud of you.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes. Being an adult is scary sometimes, isn't it. Sometimes (ha!) I think It's overrated. Can't you just mooch off your mom for the summer (like that Lynn?? ;) )and just be carefree till you join the world of work, work, work?? That's what I'd do.
    Bo and I are looking at back East for Residency. If you go back there too, we could be best friends!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rachel,

    I THINK you are amazing. You have your masters degree. Well, you will have it once you pass the oral exam (not the dentist, Levi) and the PANIC final. I hate those big choices. The good thing is... you can always change. If you doing like one type of SW, you can try another branch. One doctor put it best. He told me, after doing a year of miserable grunt work, "You can do ANYTHING... for a year." I'm voting DC as well. That's where I was going... until I decided to marry Ray (wink).

    Cali

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Rachel...great post. It definitely is an 8-comment post. I admit, I'm a little jealous. Good luck on your decisions...I just wanted to re-offer mine and Levi's help on anything if you're coming to DC. We'd love to have you. :) On a different note, I just noticed that there is a metal person on the bike in your title picture...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Rach you are awesome and I know if i has social problems you are the one I go to, just remember that! And you know filer is not to far from Rexburg we could see each other! so I am glad you are going there for a little. well good luck with everything you will do just fine i never worry about you. miss ya! laters! ps you could try a roller derby team in TF i am sure you could fins some of those people there! haha

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm tired of the thinking post. Please update. Love mom.

    ReplyDelete