Parallel parking has been my biggest impediment in the driving world. It was the only day I received a "C" in driver's ed. I recently have made huge bounds of progress in overcoming this obstacle. I discovered a secret, it's much easier to back in than to pull in- remember that all you future drivers, as I somehow missed it for eight long years of never getting the close spot because it was between two cars. With this newly-found secret tucked away in my pocket, I have begun battle with the parking gods. Just yesterday, Emily and I were driving around Washington D.C., and, wouldn't you know it, we were looking for a parking spot. We found one, oh yes we found one, right between two other cars. I with my, oh-so-confident bring-it-on attitude, proceded to back in, traffic whirring on the other side of us. After a few attempts of getting nowhere, I finally gave up with a sigh of exasperation. I had failed. The parking gods had gained a point over me, and we were forced to park elsewhere.
As the hours passed, we were again scavenging for a parking spot. Yet again there were several gaping holes between cars, but none in the clear. I finally picked one with an "Are you sure we can fit in there?" from Emily. With a confident, "oh yeah," I proceeded to back in, frantic to gain my point back from the parking gods. Alas, I hung my head in defeat. Score one more for the parking gods. "Wait!" I heard from the seat next to me, "he's going to help you get in!" I rose my head in desperation, only to find the man with the white trusty steed (van) parked behind us coming to our rescue! Once I conquered the 20 point parking job, our knight in shining armor walked away with his prize (don't get any ideas, it was only a thank you and a smile) and we jubilantly shouted for joy, ignoring the thought running through in the backs of our heads, "How in the world are we going to get back out?!" Score one for us!

I suggest you buy a mophead. I think they're easy to park.
ReplyDeleteAre you sure you didn't give him a little smoocher of thanks??? I think that's what he was hoping for. Way to disappoint him. Now he'll pobably never help anyone again, and all because you didn't give the knight his kiss.
ReplyDeleteWay to go.
After parallel parking about 50 times you should get the hang of it. hahaa.
oh my heck rach!! maybe they just dont teach that skill in filers drivers ed program very well cause tyler always makes fun of me when i totally skip over the parallel parking cause it freaks me out! i always think i am going to hit a car, so yeah if someone helps me then i am ok! sounds like your are having fun! miss ya!
ReplyDeleteRachiepooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! First of all, what are you doing in DC?? It's been way too long! And I think his real prize was walking away without his van headlights smashed in :).
ReplyDeleteOkay, scratch my comment about you being back east, like a good girl I decided to read the rest of your posts :). I didn't even know you had a blog, so I'm quite excited to stay posted on your adventures! I miss Rachel stories, you know how to make people smile. So please keep bits of Rachel coming on this blog! :)
ReplyDelete